Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Half Marathon Training Schedule

Half Marathon Training Schedule

Sprint training, cross training, strength training,

Beachbody On Demand


I promised that I would post my Half Marathon training schedule and time has slipped away from me. Previous posts about Half Marathon training, Post 1, Post 2.

I trained for 16 weeks. Please note, I am a beginner half marathoner, and this is the schedule I used. My goal was to cross the finish line in under 2:00:00. And the exciting thing was I achieved my goal! I crossed the finish line at 1:58:16. You can do it too!

Below is the training I used by focusing on using Sprint training and Beachbody On Demand (1,000's of proven exercises by professional trainers) you can sign up here.


Training:
I want to warn you this schedule was rigorous and I was exhausted at the beginning. Please pace yourself and know your body when training. It's important to stay healthy and strong when training.

Be consistent, Commit and stick to the plan. You will gradually get stronger and it gets easier each week. 

Nutrition:
Focus on a nutritious meal plan with healthy choices of veggies, fruit, lean protein and carbs. I follow the 21 Day FIX plan. You can find and purchase that plan here and click on SHOP.

Race day:
Make sure you prepare what you are going to wear based on the weather. The Des Moines Marathon was COooooold! I wore many layers. Many races will allow you to wear warm clothing and remove it while on the course. The race organizers will donate these clothing items to a local shelter.

Family and Friend Cheerleaders:
Training for a half marathon or full marathon takes a lot of time away from your family. My family supported me throughout my entire training and I really wanted them to be there for support on race day. I recommend you share with your family the race route. There will be road closures and marked parking. Since your race will be around 2 hours, your family or friends can see you race in numerous spots. Another recommendation would be for your family to bring bikes. Since parking is difficult at races, bikes are easy to maneuver throughout the race route.

The best part of my race was seeing my family at miles 3, 8 and 10.5. The 10.5 mile was the best! Seeing them gave me more adrenaline to keep pushing to the finish line.

All of this helped me reach my goal of finishing before the 2 hour mark.


After all the training, putting that medal around your neck is so exhilarating. 


Racing with friends is so much fun and creates many memories!


The shoes that got me through the finish line and training. They are Brooks Ghost.



Share with me if you used this training calendar.

What race are you training for?





Enter your email to receive your race training schedule!

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips